1.If a player is currently on the 2011 women's soccer roster they are not eligible to play. No more than one (1) ex-varsity player may be on the field at one time. If a participant has played varsity soccer within the past five (5) years of the current season they are considered one (1). If a participant played varsity soccer more than five (5) years prior to the current season they are considered half a player (0.5).
2. No more than two (2) club soccer players can be on the roster at one time.
NOTE: It is the team’s responsibility to bring eligibility issues to the attention of intramural staff.
1. Game play is 6 on 6. Each team must have a minimum of four players to begin a game.
1. Indoor Soccer balls will be provided by the RecSports staff at the game site.
2. Players are encouraged to use shin guards but RecSports does not supply them.
3. It is suggested that team members wear similar colored jerseys and bring another colored jersey (i.e. one dark-colored and one light-colored jersey). The goalkeeper must wear a different color jersey than either team on the field. Pennies will be available at the game site for teams without like-colored shirts.
4. Jewelry: No jewelry or any other item deemed dangerous by the Intramural Staff may be worn such as bracelets, earrings, necklaces, ect. Any player wearing exposed permanent jewelry (i.e. body piercings) will not be permitted to play.
5. Players may wear soft, pliable pads or braces on the leg, knee, and/or ankle. Braces may not have any exposed metal and/or screws. Braces made of any rigid material (including plastic) must be covered with a padded sleeve or at least one-half inch padding for safety reasons. Under no circumstances will a player wearing a cast or splint be permitted to play. Elbow pads are not permitted.
1. All games will consist of two 20-minute halves with a running clock. The clock will only stop for injuries and time outs.
2. There is not overtime in the Regular season.
3. Each team is permitted one timeout per half.
4. Mercy Rule: A game shall be called if a team is ahead by five goals with five minutes or less remaining in the game.
In a CoRec game the mercy shall be 10 goals with five minutes or less remaining in the game.
5. If a team is awarded a Direct Free Kick and time expires they will still be allowed to take the free kick
1. Game will go straight into PKs each team has 5 kickers.
The Playing Court
1. Goal Box/Penalty Area: The goalie box will use the two green lines and extend to the baseline of the basketball court.
2. Penalty Mark: The official will walk off 12 yards from each goal line.
1. Kickoff Procedure
A. A coin toss before the beginning of the game will determine which team kicks off and which has the choice of ends. The team not receiving the ball first will have possession to begin the second half.
B. On the referee's signal, the game shall start or resume following a goal with a kick from the center of the field.
C. All players shall be within his/her half of the field. Opponents of the kicking team must be outside of the center circle until the ball is kicked. A teammate of the kicker may be anywhere within his/her half of the field.
D. The ball must be kicked forward, one revolution, for the ball to be in play. If the ball is not passed forward across the midfield line, the same team will rekick.
E. The kicker shall not play the ball a second time until another player (of either team) has touched the ball. The penalty for this violation is an indirect free kick.
2. A coin toss at the beginning of the game shall determine which team has the choice of a goal to defend or kicking off first. The loser of the toss shall have the remaining option.
3. A goal is scored when the entire ball passes legally beyond goal line inside the wall boundaries of the recessed goal, provided that is has not been carried, thrown, or propelled by the hand or arm.
4. A goal CAN be score directly from a kickoff.
A. The goalkeeper has possession (control) of the ball when he or she is touching the ball.
B. From the moment the keeper takes control of the ball with his/her hands within his own penalty area, he/she is to be penalized if he/she takes more than six seconds without releasing the ball into play.
C. A keeper may not, after releasing the ball into play, touch the ball again with his hands before it has been touched by another player of the same team outside the penalty area or by an opposing player either inside or outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper plays the ball to a teammate and the teammate passes the ball back to the goalkeeper, he/she may not use his/her hands to play the pass. Penalty for violation of this rule is an indirect free kick.
D. The goalkeeper shall not touch the ball with his/her hands via a throw-in from his/her own team or a deliberate kick by a teammate. Penalty is an indirect free kick.
E. On a goalkeeper's throw the ball must hit the ground before the half court line of the basketball court. The cannot throw the ball the full length of the floor.
6. Slide Tackling
A. There is NO SLIDE TACKLING. This rule applies to all players including the goalkeeper.
7. Fouls and Misconduct
A. There will be no offside penalty.
B. A player shall be penalized if he/she:
a. Handles the ball with his/her hands or arms. This does not apply to the goalkeeper within his/her own penalty
area, provided he/she releases the ball within the prescribed six seconds.
b. Trips an opponent, including throwing or attempting to throw an opponent by the use of the legs.
c. Pushes or holds an opponent with the hand or with any part of the arm or body.
d. Plays dangerously (kicks, strikes, attempts to kick or strike, jumps at an opponent, charges in a violent or dangerous manner, kicks dangerously high in front of opponent).
e. Illegally obstructs an opponent by interfering with an opponent’s movement without the ball.
C. A penalty shall also be assessed should two or more defensive players simultaneously make contact with the player who has control of the ball.
D. A player or coach will be cautioned (yellow card) for the following:
a. Entering the field of play without the permission of an official.
b. Persistent infringement of any of the rules of the game.
c. Verbal objection or action indicating dissent toward the official.
d. Unsportsmanlike conduct, which will be at the discretion of the official.
e. Slide tackling an opponent.
E. A player or coach will be ejected (red card) for the following:
a. Exhibiting violent conduct or committing serious foul play and including, but not limited to, deliberately handling a ball to prevent it from going into the goal or committing a foul against an opponent who is moving toward his/her goal with an obvious opportunity to score.
b. Use of vulgar, profane, foul or abusive language.
F. An ejected player cannot be replaced by a substitute and that team must play short-handed.
G. Players may not place hands on wall to balance or gain leverage on another player.
8. Free Kicks
A. An indirect free kick is a free kick from which a goal may not be scored unless the ball is touched by another player from either team.
B. A direct free kick is a free kick from which a goal may be scored against the offending team.
C. The free kick may be taken by any player of the offended team on the field of play at the time of the offense.
D. When a direct or indirect free kick is awarded, all opposing players must be at least ten yards away from the spot where the free kick is to be taken, unless they are standing on their goal line between the goal posts.
E. When a player is taking a free kick from within his defensive penalty area, the ball must be kicked beyond the penalty area and all opponents must be outside the penalty area.
F. The ball must be stationary when a free kick is taken. The kicker shall not play the ball again until it has been touched by another player (either team). The ball may be kicked in any direction.
9. Penalty Kicks
A. A penalty kick is awarded after a serious or intentional rule infraction takes place in the penalty area by the defensive team. A penalty kick can be awarded regardless of the position of the ball, if the infraction by the defending team is committed in the penalty area. It is not awarded for infractions that call for an indirect free kick.
B. The penalty kick shall be taken from anywhere on the penalty mark, twelve yards from the goal line.
C. The penalty kick may be taken by any player of the offended team on the field of play at the time of the offense.
(Co-Rec) The person taking the penalty kick must be of the same gender as the person who was fouled originally.
D. All players except the goalie must stay outside the penalty area and at least 10 yards from the penalty mark
E. The goalkeeper must stand on the goal line and may not move forward until the ball is kicked. The goalkeeper may move laterally.
F. The kicker must wait for the official to start the play. The kicker must kick the ball forward. If the ball is not put into play properly, the kick will be retaken. Any action to deceive the goalkeeper by the kicker is illegal.
G. Following the kick, the ball shall be deemed in play if it remains on the field of play; however, the kicker shall not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player (either team).
H. For any infringement by the defending team, the kick shall be retaken if a goal has not resulted. For any infringement by the attacking team other than by the kicker, the kick shall be retaken if a goal has resulted.
1. The number of flying substitutes made during a match is unlimited, except in the case of the goalkeeper, who can only be replaced when the ball is not in play. A player who has been replaced may return to the court as a substitute for another player. A "flying substitutions" is one that is made when the ball is still in play; however, the player leaving the court must do so before the player replacing him/her enters the playing surface.
2. Substitutions must sit on the glass side of the court.
1. CoRec will also play 6 on 6 with three males and three females.
2. Substitutions must be made male for male and female for female.
3. When a female scores the score is counted as two goals